Thursday, September 27, 2007

And a new words I remember some.

So, there's the language phenomenon of "X is the new Y," or any variant thereof--where a common maxim or "line" is switched up to suit particular circumstance and, generally, to be funny. Happens on all fronts. From questionable declarations about the "new black," to "I don't like (x), I love her," (Thanks, Ten CC and your song "Dreadlock Holiday" for that.) this speech pattern is referred to as snowclones. I don't really get why, or I think that if you're going to get thee to a punnery on this front, you actually have to be funny. But that's just me being petty. Anyway, I like knowing that this stuff is not only noticed by the linguistic community, but termed and discussed in other blogs.

Started reading that word column in the back of the Atlantic Monthly and thought of a new one for over-enthusiastic Zionism: Jewbris. I'm not sure I'll be using it in many conversations, but...I blew my own mind when that thought bubble wafted out.

k.

No comments: